Saturday, January 06, 2007

A Six Month Commitment: Healing

I have been really wanting to post about/announce this for days. It is well over-due.

(You'd think with all the snow and ice keeping the kids and me inside, I would've finally had the time. Yeah right. Quite the opposite. Both of them are bundles of anxious, bored, pent-up energy. Michael has been home, too, because of bad weather closures at Dell, so I also spent the last two days taking advantage of the great company and willing helping hand. It has been sooo nice having him home for an extended weekend).

Here is the scoop: In an effort to take a huge risk and try something completely different in the way of work and livelihood, I begin massage school on February 1st at Texas Healing Arts on Burnet Road. At the end of the 4 month program that runs daily from 9:30-1 pm and an internship that follows, I will be licensed to perform massage therapy in Texas. I hope to work with a good friend of mine who has an more than established client base for esthetics and massage.

So you are thinking: Where did this come from? Massage therapy is a hard field to be in. You're right! Most massage therapists burn out after 7 years, make $10-15/hour, work a lot and don't make their own schedules. What the hell is she thinking? I'm thinking I've tried everything else. And I'm thinking the glass is half full - some therapists make $45-90/hour and do make their own schedule - like my friend who is in the industry already.

I've tried the sales jobs, having the kids in daycare all day every day and living on a shoestring budget even though Michael and I are both working our tails off. I've done what I think everyone else thinks I should do, which is ridiculous even just as a thought. I believe it is time to try something else. And since my years of dance and anatomy classes, I have always been facinated with how the body works.

(But, for those of you who are freaking out: I am trying to maintain a tid-bit of realism and caution, I have also applied for a part time evening inside sales position with Dell Round Rock to supplement Michael's income and keep one foot squarely in the sales world. The interview went swimmingly, and I'll find out about this job for sure by the end of January).

So that is the plan. For the next six months or so, I am committed to learning how to heal and relax strangers' bodies. Although, I do have to tell you, I am looking forward to this as an opportunity to learn how to relax and balance myself as well and do something I want to do as a method to center myself and heal a part of my body - my heart - so I can take better care of myself and my family in this precious life.

More later about the program!

Check it out: Texas Healing Arts

http://www.texashealingarts.com/