Monday, December 11, 2006

The Importance of a First Life - Saturdays Win Out!


In a moment of uncontrollable realism, I turned down the job with Austin Plumbing Supply. It was going to be too much to handle, realistically. And though it may be self-important to think so, my family needs me home more than that job was going to allow. Aside from my family, I would have been very, very unhappy working six days a week.

So maybe I did get a little bit from that Oprah show about becoming your better self. I at least managed a little bravery and made a choice that is a tad risky - because now I am jobless again - but completely right. I have spent a lot of time in the last four years trying to make the right choices, so I can only be proud of myself. I took a stand. And I believe this family can survive anything - even mere temporary joblessness - if we work together.

Also, as you may remember, I decided I need to make a plan for my life. I promised myself I would make a list of things I wanted to do in the time I have been given, and then decide what vehicle, what job, what sacrifice was going to carry me to those goals. (I am also going to consult with a career development counselor, since I my interests are so varied).

Here is a start:

Make my own work schedule.
Make my own work schedule.
Make my own work schedule.
Learn more about the body and make mine healthy.
Help young parents understand their new roles.
Dance in a company and teach dance.
Travel to/live in different countries.
Learn how to meditate.
Learn and teach a foreign language.
Write and publish a book.
Work for an art gallery.
Get an MBA
Retire on my terms...

And I'm sure there is more to come.